Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane....

...in TWO WEEKS from today! :)

Jennie actually heads out this afternoon. And, I'll meet her in Italy in two weeks. SO FUN! We have our in-country itinerary all planned, have purchased our train tickets/rail passes and have most of our housing booked (we're even staying in a convent in Assisi!).

It's still not real to me that I'm going to Italy - though it did finally strike me that this will be my first real vacation. Well...actually my second. I did go to Florida on spring break one year in college. But, otherwise, every other trip I've taken has been to visit family and/or friends (which obviously has merit in its own right) or been on trips through my old employer - where I did get to go to amazingly cool places but was working and leading groups of college kids.

And, it's funny because I've found that as I'm preparing for this trip to Italy, I'm thinking about it in the way that I did my trips to Asia with those college kids....rather than as a vacation. Backpacking. Roughing it. Getting dirty. Ruining whatever clothes I bring with me. Etc.

I do have great hopes for the trip though - obviously, to enjoy my time in Italy, to take in all I can, to create some amazing memories with Jennie and eat/drink all the yummy Italian food possible.

But, I'm also hoping to take some time to really chill out, pull back and re-prioritize my life. I'm noticing more and more that I run on this cycle where I pack WAY TOO MUCH into my life (even booking things on top of others) then get burnt out (and/or sick) and shut everything and everyone out for a few days. Then, I slowly start putting things back in my life until I'm overbooking and overwhelmed again before I realize it...and the cycle just keeps going on. It's time to have some health in the ways I do things and the way my schedule works.

So, yeah, two weeks from today I'm going to be gone...for 10 wonderful days with limited phone and internet capabilities. SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: