Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Aren't You Married Yet?

It's no joke...I'm sort of sick of this question. And, I've had it posed to me twice in as many days.

The first was from a well-intentioned, married acquaintance...who was trying to be funny. He found out that I really like football...and specifically the NFL...and the next words uttered out of his mouth were, "WHAT? How are you not married yet?"

I somehow stammered an answer of "I guess I'm just picky...."

Grrrr....

Then today, someone I've not seen in about four years walked into my office. Someone who almost asked me out four years ago before essentially diappearing. (It's not nearly as interesting as it sounds....he worked for a vendor of ours, would flirt with me every time he stopped by, was on the verge of asking me out, and then stopped coming to the office.) Anyway he's back in town (apparently he'd moved to Iowa to be with family but is now back in Denver), back working for that same vendor and, though no where near as forward as in years past, started flirting with me again. And, of course the questions arose: "Married? Kids? No? How could that be? Why not?"

This time I stammered an answer of "Guess I've not met the right person yet...?" (yet, if I'm honest, I would go out with this guy if he were to ask...even all these years later...)

I think the reason these questions are irritating me so much is because I'm starting to ask the very same question. For the first time in my life, I truly truly feel like I have my "stuff" together (as much as I possibly can, anyway), I really like who I am, I'm content with my life (most days) and I'm moving forward in so many areas of my life. The missing piece seems to be a life companion, a partner, a husband to walk through life with. Here I am, still waiting.

I'm not bitter. And, actually, not really that impatient (althought it probably sounds differently to you). I know that God's got a plan and that His timing is perfect. And, I trust Him - completely. But...I just feel ready. I'm think I'm ready (maybe...). I'm ready and hoping to have some sort of better answer to that stupid question sometime soon......

1 comment:

Mark & Jennie said...

praying into this for you Nat - I believe God has exactly the perfect plan for you and that a family is in it...keep leaning into these emotions and thoughts, thanks for sharing!