Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Impatient yet Thankful

Believe it or not, I'm a remarkably impatient person - though I like to think that it's simply my gift of implementation shining through. :)

Once I get an idea in my head or once I get an answer and/or direction from the Lord, I want it to come together immediately - even when I understand (and value) the benefit of process. Case in point: although cognitively I know that it takes time to build a business, now that it's started, I want Writing for a CHANGE to take off immediately so that I can press forward into caring for foster kids, adopting orphans and helping the down and out as fast as possible.

For the past few weeks, I've caught myself - more often than I'd like to admit - being frustrated at the speed of this building process, frustrated at the lack of response from potential clients, frustrated at my small (though beautiful) home and how it's hindering me from being able to host anyone right now, frustrated that I don't have the financial means to step into everything with both feet right now, frustrated that I don't have "enough time" to press into really building this business and frustrated that everything's taking sooooo long....

The irony, of course, is that, in reality, things are going fairly quickly. I had paying clients almost immediately, I do have dedicated time each week to devote to my business, I've cleared some other responsibilities off my plate to ready myself for when things do "take off." Four months ago, this was all a mere idea...now it's a full-fledged reality.

Plus, and here's another great example of the kindness and grace of the Lord in my life, I already have ample opportunity to love on others - even if it's not in the specific ways I long to ultimately serve. I have a "little sister" through Big Brothers Big Sisters whom I adore. I sponsor an adorable little girl in Ethiopia through Compassion International. And, I'm part of an amazing church that is actively serving the broken and destitute in our own city and around the world (by working with newly-relocated refugees from around the world, caring for single parents, working to end sex-trafficking in the US and abroad and helping victims of natural disasters (like the recent Haitian earthquake).) I'm doing it all already...right now.

So, today, I'm choosing to lay down my impatience and frustration and pick up gratitude. I'm choosing to be grateful for the opportunities presently in front of me - even as I cling to the hope of my dreams and vision to come.

No comments: