Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where I'm Going

It's not too much of a surprise, really, but to follow up with some previous posts (this one and this one) and give an update of where I am now, I thought I'd formalize everything here.

When I last wrote, I talked of God's clear direction that I should step into the freelance writing/editing business idea as well as continue to press forward into the things of compassion and help for the less fortunate that are so heavily and ever-presently on my heart.

Well, it's been a big three months! In mid-February, I officially and legally began my business, Writing for a CHANGE. This business - and even its name - encapsulates my heart in so many ways.

From the purely business side of things, Writing for a CHANGE exists for those who:
  • would like an additional set of eyes or a full-fledged revamp of their article, thesis, website text or book
  • are in need of an updated resume and a winning cover letter for that dream (or, let's be honest, in this economy, ANY) job
  • need help crafting the perfect college admissions essay to get the "upper hand" in a competitive admissions environment

The business purpose of Writing for a CHANGE is to help people experience the CHANGE they're looking for in whatever way the written word can do so (specifically through Proofreading, Copy-Editing, Business and Technical Writing, Resume Writing and Consulting).

I do love to edit. I have been a grammar nerd forever (I fondly remember diagramming sentences in elementary and middle school). I do have a special gift to clearly articulate what someone's trying/wanting to communicate and lay things out in an easily-understood manner. That's all true. But, it's so much more than that.

From the larger point of view, though, I'm hoping that Writing for a CHANGE will be the means by which I can help the less fortunate experience positive CHANGE and restoration in their lives. That Writing for a CHANGE will finance a dream that costs more than I can finance as an office manager. One of my greatest dreams is to have a home where the less fortunate - whether foster/adoptive children or even adults who simply need some help getting back on their feet - have a place to call home, a place where they feel loved and known, a place where they can get free from their pasts and learn life skills to be successful in their futures. That's my dream. And, as much as I do enjoy and am gifted at writing and editing, Writing for a CHANGE is really just a means to that end.

And, even its very name serves to remind me why I'm doing this business at all. Writing is the means, the conduit, by which others can (hopefully and prayerfully) experience positive CHANGE, freedom, restoration and hope.

Will you join me in this pursuit of CHANGE, freedom, restoration and hope?

Will you pray for me as I venture out?

Will you think of me if/when you or someone you know needs a document edited or written? Or when you need a new resume?

Will you join me?

No comments: