Monday, December 5, 2011

As if I Didn't Have Enough Pulling at Me

(For context, start here: Part 1 or for the most-recent entry: Part 6)

So, the accident and everything surrounding it should have been enough to deal with, right? Well, it apparently wasn't.  :)

Concurrent with that entire mess there were a few other things I was juggling:
1. Full-time job. A co-worker was out on maternity leave from January-March, and, in addition to my normal role, I was covering for 2/3 of her position. My company did bring in a temp who covered the phones for five hours each day...but really, in essence, I did my "normal" role while also managing the temp, ensuring she did everything she needed to be doing while also taking on an entire additional role (covering for the lady on leave entailed becoming the executive assistant to two principals, becoming the project assistant for about 10 billable project, and running/updating our internal company website).

If that wasn't enough, I was also fully in the throws of beginning a transition where I was becoming the company-wide editor and writer. (That was a very very exciting thing to be happening...and something that had been on the table and slated to happen long before all of the maternity-leave coverage.) So, I was figuring out what that looked like and how to balance it, promote myself and my abilities throughout the company, and managing a team for the development of our new company blog, of which I was named editor.

Steep learning curve. Lots of moving parts. Lots of pressure.

2. Family stuff. My father was doing better but still in the throws of what's become a nasty divorce (and actually still isn't over today as I write this).

3. Grad School. I was still taking classes for my copyediting certification at UCSD. (I have now wisely, I think, taken a break from this. I'll pick it up probably next summer....)

4. Small Group. I was still leading a small group alone. Loved it. Still do. Just again - a lot...pastoring a group of 12 people when you're under all of the pressure I was under...wow, it's thoroughly the grace of God that I was actually able to care for any of those folks.

5. Freelance business. I was working with a web design/marketing company, writing all of the text for a plastic surgery website (upwards of 30 unique pages) with constant and regular deadlines. Great opportunity. Just a lot to do.

Whew! Thinking back to all of this as I write this post makes my heart beat just a little faster, remembering just how much was going on and how much pressure I was under. It kinda feels like a major miracle that I came out in one piece!

No comments: