Monday, March 5, 2012

The Provision of a Lawyer

My pastor did get back to me pretty quickly with some helpful information. And, just a few days later, I was able to actually speak to someone on the phone. This man was so different than the first lawyer I spoke to. After I shared my entire story, his first words were, "I am so very sorry that this has happened to you. I will be praying for you."

Then, he went on to give me insight into the entire process from a legal standpoint. Given that he was a seasoned lawyer (and not just a few years post-law school like the first lawyer), I felt like he was offering legitimate insight and advice. Then, he personally endorsed two lawyers and gave me their contact information. In talking with him, I felt like a literal weight had been lifted off from me. While it was still a serious situation, it was seemingly FAR LESS serious than that first lawyer had led me to believe.

The next week I met with each of the lawyers recommended to me. They each had their pros and cons....and I didn't know how to decide which one to choose to represent me. Again, I brought the decision to the Lord. And, His simple answer this time was, "With whom do you feel more comfortable?"

Now, the idea of my decision having been based on something so subjective as to whom I felt more comfortable with sounds ludicrous. But, at that point in the story, I was really feeling so clueless, so timid, so fearful, so unsafe and so resourceless that I needed to be with someone with whom I felt safe. It was obvious that both men were capable of the job, were seasoned and knew what they were doing. They both actually knew the judge on the case and even gave me some insight into him...so, that was helpful too. So, it really did come down to the person with whom I felt more comfortable.

So, I chose a man named Dan. He was a very direct, wise, honest, grandfatherly man of few words. And, I knew I'd be taken care of by him.

The next hurdle was how to pay for his services. While he thought he could get the case settled without having to go to trial, he had said that for all new cases he required a $1,500 retainer. So, my next question to the Lord was, "Where do I get this $1,500?" I was expecting a bit more than that from my tax return but I knew I wouldn't receive my return for at least another few weeks. I needed to get my money to him immediately as the next court appearance was, at this point, just over a week away.

Again, the Lord answered simply and directly: "Get a pay advance from work."

Until this point, I'd been very quiet at work about this entire case. Only my boss and the people most directly affected by my frequent absence from work knew anything. But, now, I had to tell HR (who would then need to get approval from a few other people) before I could get the pay advance. I wasn't looking forward to it...and to the many questions I'd get (as at any workplace, some of my coworkers are quite gossipy and "busy-bodyish" - I wasn't looking forward to having to deal with them). But, in the end, the advance got approved and no one really said anything to me about it. It felt like more ways that Lord was protecting me.

And, it all worked out: my pay advance was approved, I was able to give my attorney his retainer, and my tax return was deposited into my account before my next pay check.

Another hurdle overcome.

No comments: