Monday, March 5, 2012

Moment by Moment, Step by Step

A few days after meeting with the first lawyer, I was helping to lead worship at my church. I hadn't mentioned much of what was going on to any of the people on the band - including our then guest worship leader (who now is on staff with us) - and although my pastor knew (via email updates I'd give him and others), I hadn't really given him a recent update. So, he didn't know anything about my need for a lawyer. As the band and I were packing everything up after the service, my pastor came up to me and said, "Hey, are you okay? I've felt a really intense burden to pray for you all week."

All my anxiety, fear and emotions were just under the surface so even that simple question set me over the edge. I looked at him as tears filled my eyes and told him all about my most recent court appearance and the meeting with first lawyer. I shared how I didn't know where to go to get a second opinion and, even if I got one, how I would afford to pay whichever lawyer I ended up with.

He reassured me and said that he'd help me figure something out - that he knew someone who knew someone who could recommend the right lawyer for me. That was so relieving. But, quite frankly, the simple truth that the Lord had impressed upon my pastor to pray for me when he didn't even know what was going on was encouragement enough for that moment. I felt like my fear and my pain were seen - that I wasn't alone in this awful situation.

The Lord's tender, moment-by-moment, very specific care and direction for me only continued from there. About a week later, I still hadn't heard from my pastor with info on how to get ahold of his contact. I actually wasn't stressed...just aware that my next court date was looming ever closer. So, I simply asked the Lord, "What should I do? I know my pastor's busy...do I need to remind him? But, I don't want to bug him. I'm not sure what to do...."

The reply came in four simple words: "Work on your taxes."

That may seem like a strange reply - especially since it wasn't anything about a lawyer or my pastor. But, it made so much sense to me. The reality was - I had no control over anything at that point. Bugging my pastor wouldn't change anything - I knew he was working on my behalf. The only real thing I could do was gather everything to send my taxes to my accountant. The sooner I submitted everything to him, the sooner I'd get my tax return - which would supply at least some cash to pay any future lawyer bills. So, that night, I started on my taxes (no minor effort when I have my personal income, renter income, a business and a home).

The very next morning - I kid you not - I received a text message from my pastor that said, "I haven't forgotten about you. Still working on the lawyer. Will be in touch soon." His words were absolutely reassuring...but even more so, it felt like the Lord was saying, "I told you, I've got this. Watch how I work. One step at a time."

No comments: