Thursday, May 24, 2012

Living it Out

Someone recently asked me about my spiritual journey...below is my response as well as his response to what I shared. I think his response is among one of the best compliments I've ever received in that it's just so meaningful to realize that the things about who you are are in fact making a difference in someone else's life...that the ways you aspire to live are, in fact, reality and actually being lived out (even if only briefly or momentarily).

May I always be so open and honest about the work my Father has done in my life.

Me: "My journey has definitely been an interesting one. It would take volumes to truly articulate it all. But, the long and short of it is that my parents both also have a Catholic background (Catholic school and the whole bit) and I was baptized in the Catholic church, etc – even went to Catholic school myself for 2nd grade). But, for both of them, it was definitely a cultural/family/obligatory thing that they just did. No real connection with God or desire to actually try to connect with Him.

Then, my father had a few specific experiences where he knew God was trying to get his attention (kinda weird sounding but definitely true), and they changed my father forever. He started going to a Charismatic Catholic church and then moved to a more evangelical/non-denominational church. As his life changed, he obviously shared his relationship with God with his family. And, that’s how I started understanding who God was. I went to Sunday school and heard all the bible stories, etc.

A few years later, my mom got really sick and my parents started having some major problems. Things got really really tricky at home and the only way I could cope was to cling to God. All the things I’d heard in Sunday school about who Jesus was started to actually make sense to me and feel true. I started having experiences with and understanding of God myself. So, fast-forward a lot of years and that’s still where I’m at – though obviously I’m beyond simple Sunday school stories.

I’ve had a lot of hardship in my life and a lot of things that should have wrecked me and/or turned me into a broken, strung-out, bitter woman. But, instead, every step of the way, Jesus has intervened and protected me or worked out that hard/bad situation to show me more of who He is, of His love, His protection, His care, His goodness and His kindness. It’s so much more than a religion or ascribing to a set of rules or a way of living…as cheesy as it may sound, it really is a living, active relationship with a God who makes Himself known to me, works in my life and uses me to share and extend His love to others. I can’t imagine who I’d be or what my life would look like without Him."


My Friend: "[Your response] was interesting, insightful and thorough.... I feel like I got a rare glimpse at parts of your background .... It's not often that I get those glimpses when communicating with most people... whether it be writing talking chatting, etc...I'm a bit guarded myself. So thanks for the refreshing change...."




So simple and yet so powerful.

I'm so grateful for the reminder and the encouragement. Just what I needed today....

No comments: